Friday 6 July 2018

How do Microsoft make some great programs and some terrible ones? OneDrive sucks!

So this is the first time I have ever used OneDrive, having previously used DropBox, Box and Git and the syncing is rubbish because of the way exclusion works. Anyone who has written a sync tool knows that you do not want to synchronize everything but when you first enable OneDrive, it has created a Documents folder, which has been pinned to your Quick Launch. From now on, every time you think you are saving to your documents, you are actually saving to OneDrive and NOT your documents.

Microsoft, seriously? For those of us who have used Windows for years, this is deception and just causes confusion. Why would you call the folder the same name, give it the same icon and put it where my normal documents folder is so that if I were to accidentally delete some OneDrive documents from another machine, I would accidentally come home to find I don't have any documents any more!

So eventually, I realise this after managing to delete a vendor folder that had taken the previous 10 minutes to download! So I moved my stuff back into "My Documents" and deleted OneDrive's "Documents". Now I am wondering how to sync some folders.

The instructions online are out of date, there is no option to "Choose OneDrive folders to sync" context menu item. Secondly, trying to right-click the folder in OneDrive brings up the context menu for about a second after which it disappears. I finally found out how to access the options via the system tray icon.

Vendor, node_modules and others are basically cached packages that take up way too much space and change too frequently to need syncing, they can easily be re-downloaded if needed and to avoid eating up bandwidth, I wanted to exclude a folder in my web project but otherwise sync (i.e. backup) the code part of the project.

Due to reasons that are hard to understand, however, the OneDrive documents is some kind of symlink to the real documents so if I include a folder and then exclude a sub folder from OneDrive, it deletes it from my local computer even though it was created locally in the first place! Basically, this is trash and makes OneDrive completely unusable for me.

I don't want to be a moaner but honestly, there is no way that anyone serious could have tested and accepted this product before it was released because all other products I have used have already worked this out. Ignore means ignore, not delete!

It is also super slow. Bye bye OneDrive, I will continue to use DropBox, which is to be honest, pretty poor in some ways but is still yards better than OneDrive.

No comments: